Vintage British Diecasts Website
Vintage British Diecast Forum • View topic - Obvious wheel swap

Obvious wheel swap

Is it genuine or is it fake?

Obvious wheel swap

Postby Lee@kai76 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:23 pm

Obviously a wheel swap but I picked it up because I liked the look of it, what I am asking anyone is what are the wheels from?
Another make of model or just a generic replacement wheel, as you can see there's no inner disc on these wheels like my other models with this wheel variation.

Lee 1.JPG
Lee 1.JPG (80.47 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Lee 2.JPG
Lee 2.JPG (67.78 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Lee 3.JPG
Lee 3.JPG (54.28 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Lee 4.JPG
Lee 4.JPG (63.63 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Thanks Lee.
Lee@kai76

Re: Obvious wheel swap

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:32 pm

They look like the first design of rim/tyre combination used on models in the regular wheel range where there is a separate 'Chrome' effect hub (rim) pressed into the wheel/tyre moulding. This was modified for the 1968 season of models where there was now a separate hub with separate tyre pressed on to this and the wheels you are probably more familiar with on your other models.

Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Postby Lee@kai76 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 pm

After doing a bit more research and looking at other models I agree with you, they look the same to me.

Thankyou Ghosthunter

Lee
Lee@kai76

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:05 am

No thank you Lee for showing it here on the forum for others to see and learn.

I have resized your pictures for better viewing, I am sure you don't mind me doing this but if you don't want me to do this, I still have your original larger format images in storage and this goes for other member's pictures I resize, I always keep the originals if I need to put them back.

Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Postby fixer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:15 am

what i would like to know is that a base swap as that rivet looks good ......S/F colour on R/W base why do a wheel swap on a combination that will be closely inspected , a good code three or ? .... some close up of the axles needed for our more experienced members
reg
fixer

Postby Lee@kai76 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Thankyou for resizing them Ghosthunter, that's much better, and to carry on what fixer said the model is odd the more I look at it, the rivet looks fine and the paintwork looks original and then there's the wheels, which I will add the axles are clipped in under small prongs to the white plastic pieces.

I am no expert on models been altered infact just a novice on collecting matchbox, but I will try get some close up photos of the axles later if anyone is interested.

Thanks Guys

Lee
Lee@kai76

Postby Taniwha » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:48 pm

fixer wrote:what i would like to know is that a base swap as that rivet looks good ......S/F colour on R/W base why do a wheel swap on a combination that will be closely inspected , a good code three or ? .... some close up of the axles needed for our more experienced members

It's a superfast base on this one Reg. I for one would like more pictures...

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
Taniwha

Postby leonty24 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:24 pm

As Hugh has said Mr O'Dell prefered his regular wheels could this be a offer of a compromise of what was reg. wheels and
the new S/F wheels ?
leonty24

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Do we know if Mr Odell kept his own personal collection of models (very likely as he was so passionate about the details his team achieved on them!), and did he have them all made with regular wheels...?

If so, they must have eventually got into the collecting community to cause confusion and interest now!

Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Postby fixer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Taniwha wrote:
fixer wrote:what i would like to know is that a base swap as that rivet looks good ......S/F colour on R/W base why do a wheel swap on a combination that will be closely inspected , a good code three or ? .... some close up of the axles needed for our more experienced members

It's a superfast base on this one Reg. I for one would like more pictures...

Cheers,
Gavin

Oops that's what you get for looking at the details instead of the obvious ....can I blame it on several large JD & cokes :oops: :oops:
reg
fixer

Next

Return to Authenticate your toys